Pam

Name: Pam

Model:

Origin: 2012 Squier VM Jaguar SS Bass

Features:

  • Jaguar Upper control plate with Volume, Tone and circuit switch
  • Jaguar Switch plate
  • All pots CTS/Fender 1meg
  • Chrome Strat style knobs (AllParts)
  • Switchcraft output jack
  • GFS Jazz Bass bridge pickup
  • Circuit: Fairly standard volume and tone set-up, but with three different tone caps available (details below)
  • D’Addario XL ETB92S, Medium Nylon tapewound strings, .050, .065, .085, .105

Like Ivy, this is a Squier Vintage Modified Short Scale Jaguar bass, this one in Black. Modified to look like Henrietta, a Fender MIJ Jaguar HH Special edition.

Circuit is similar to a Jaguar guitar circuit. All pots are 1 meg.

With the circuit switch in the up position, only the P-Pickup is used, and only the upper volume and tone controls. Both pots are 1 meg linear, rather than the 1 meg and 50K used on Jaguar guitars. The tone control uses a .022 capacitor for a slighty brighter tone (with pot at minimum) than with a standard .047 capacitor.

With the circuit switch in the down position, either pickup can be used individually or together (in parallel), with individual volume controls for each, and a master tone control on the lower plate. Volume and tone controls on the upper plate are disconnected. There is an on-off switch for each pickup, and a “thin” switch. The thin switch operates differently than on a Jaguar guitar. In the down position, the tone control uses a .047 capacitor. In the up position, it uses a .01 capacitor, giving a brighter tone than the upper circuit.

See also: Ivy

Named for Pam Ravenscroft, Eric Northman’s “child” and partner in the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris, as well as the HBO series “True Blood”

Before:
Pam 1

Parts gathered:

Pickguard rough cut:

Pickguard shaped closer to final, but not quite done:

Mounted finished pickguard, and laid plates in position. Marked around pickguard and plates with silver sharpie. Also marked and drilled screw holes for plates:

Using silver sharpie, marked location of routs, and then outlined with binding tape. (Note, silver sharpie markings are easily removed from urethane or polyester finishes with a bit of polishing compound. I actually use Turtle Wax chrome polish. I would not recommend using the sharpie on lacquer finishes.):

Laid a piece of tracing paper over rout area, and transferred tape edges to paper, then cut out with an X-Acto knife:

Taped the tracing to a piece of 1/2″ MDF, transferred outline and marked with masking tape. Routed along tape edges to make rough template:

Assembled parts to plates, and used them to check template:

Used a Dremel along with a sanding block with 80 grit paper to size and smooth template. The tape is where I cut the template a bit too close to the edge of the plate. I built the area back up with a few layers of binding tape and used a couple pieces to hold it all in place:

Attached template to body with two bridge screws, and we’re ready to make some sawdust:

Routing finished:

Fit the pickguard and plates again to make sure they fit:

Mounted the pickups and wired up the new plates as well as the lower plate (not shown):

Here’s a schematic of the circuit I used:

Installed plates, bridge and neck, put on some nickel Dunlop straplocks, and a set of D’Addario tapewounds, and she’s ready to go:

Leave a Reply